Date:      Fri, 04 Sep 1998 20:00:58 -0400
From:      "Christopher J. Michaels" <cjm2@earthling.net>
To:        Lanny Baron <beef@cybertouch.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: setting quotas on filesystem

Lanny Baron wrote:

>         Hello,
>
>         I have read the man page on edquota. I just need to understand one
> thing. It speaks of editting soft and hard limits. If for example i want
> the default in the group user to be 10 megs. How would I translate that to
> blocks? 1 block =1024 bytes? Which means setting the hard limit to 9765
> and then the soft limit for 15 megs would be 14,648 ?

ACK!  I didn't notice this at first.  Do you realize that you are setting a
10mb quota for all of user?  That means that the total of ALL the files owned
by group user cannot come to more than 10mb!

If I understand your question correctly, you want to enforce this quota upon
each individual user in group user... right?  If that's so, I don't know of a
way to do it.  But there is something else you can use.

Setup 1 user with the quota's you want and then use:
    edquota -p username UID_range.

E.g. say all of your "users" have UIDs between 2000 and 4999, and your
"prototype" user is is "bob".  You could type this...
    edquota -p bob 2000-4999
Now all users (current and future) with a UID in that range, will have the
same quota as "bob".

Maybe this will answer your question a little better.

/*    THIS SPACE FOR RENT        cjm2@earthling.net            */