Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 2002 00:43:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      gica gica <magudexter@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   general questions on nat and ipfw (vs. pf/ and ipf/ipnat)

Hello!

Even though I use FreeBSD on almost every machine in
the lan the gateways are OpenBSD. Of course, there are
some advantages to this but the main reason for this
is their firewall / nat tool i.e. PF.

To ease maintenance and in hope to achieve better
results I decided to switch them also to FreeBSD.
Still even though the ipfw has about the same
qualities as the pf firewall counter part, the natd
looks to me like a poor choice.

I have searched the net in order to find some
benchmarks on these firewalls but I found some only on
ipf and pf. Assuming that they have about the same
ratio I want to ask you guys about the natd and ipfw.

I am not sure about the ipfw stateful implementation.
As far as I know stateful rules are something "new" to
ipfw(actually not so new - since 4.0 I recall) and
they don't quite fit into the old natd architecture.

Plus a kernel option to do the NAT is more performant
and secure than having a process (like natd) to do
that.

The ipf/ipnat package is a possibility but I choose
ipfw because it has the rules (pipes) to allow/deny
traffic to users/hosts. Still, I rely heavily on NAT
and I want to make sure that natd is good choice.

Thank you,
    Costin