Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 2006 10:09:19 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lgusenet@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Quiet computer

soralx@cydem.org writes:

>> I don't really care how fast the crypto engine is on my Via system.
>
> neither do I care how fast it is on someone else's system :p, but I'm

Fair enough.  Its speed on your own system may matter less to you than
you think, as well. ;-)

> just curious whether the speed VIA claims, 25Gbps(!) peak is achievable

Peak rate is a useless number.  If it were sustainable, it wouldn't be
quoted as a "peak" rate; and if it's not sustainable, it doesn't
affect the perceived performance.

>> I just care that it offloads the ALU.  I haven't gotten around to
>> proving whether (and by how much) it does so.
>
> did you get to the point that you're sure it's being used?

Yes.  it is.

>> > BTW... `ubench`? :)
>>
>> Not impressive.
>
> you're using the same board as OP?

No, not at all; I didn't mean to imply I was.  I have the slowest (and
lowest powered) Via chips I could get.  The ubench numbers are
slightly lower than the Pentium II system it replaced, at a similar
clock rate.  Note that I didn't mean the numbers were bad, either...