Date:      Mon, 17 May 2010 11:24:11 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        Todd Wasson <tsw5@duke.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: zfs drive replacement issues

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 02:17:48PM -0400, Todd Wasson wrote:
> Hi Mark, I was about to try this, but I just tried putting the "old"
> (damaged) drive back in the pool and detaching the "new" drive from
> the pool, which I've tried before, but for some reason this time it
> succeeded.  I was then able to "zpool offline" the old drive,
> physically replace it with the new one, and "zpool replace" the old
> one with the new one.  It just finished successfully resilvering, and
> apparently everything is working well.  I'm going to initiate a scrub
> to be sure that everything is alright, but I'm fairly sure that the
> problem is solved.  I didn't do anything that I hadn't already tried,
> so I don't know why it worked this time, but I'm not complaining.
> Thanks to everyone for your help; at the very least, the idea of
> putting the original drive back into the machine and mucking around
> with it led me in the right direction.  Next time I'll be sure to
> issue an offline command before replacing a device!

Todd,

Can you provide some details about the controller you have these disks
attached to?  "dmesg | egrep -i 'ata|ahci'" should be sufficient at this
point.

SMART statistics for the drive(s) you feel might be bad would also help.
I can try my best to describe the conditions of the disk(s) based on
output from "smartctl -a /dev/adX".  You can install smartmontools from
ports/sysutils/smartmontools.

Thanks.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc@parodius.com |