Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2002 23:17:49 -0500
From:      Tadayuki OKADA <tadayuki@mediaone.net>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        Alexander@Leidinger.net, tadayuki.okada@windriver.com, will@csociety.org, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/graphics/gd Makefile pkg-comment

I already gave up.
But I need to clarify one point.

On Thu, 31 Jan 2002 22:13:21 -0500 (EST)
Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com> wrote:
> >> My proposal  has even less to  do with _packages_ --  it only affects
> >> the ports-building.
> > If you don't  bump port A's PORTREVISION when  libB.so's major version
> > is bumped, we'll have several packages which have exactly same version
> > including PORTREVISION, but their binaries are different.
>
> Who is "we"? Bento?
>
> > Porter's Handbook demands you to  bump PORTREVISION when the package's
> > binary is changed.
>
> Right -- assuming the default (read -- Bento) environment. And it is not
> changing, since Bento builds packages anew from scratch.
I'm talking about when libB.so's major version is bumped.
There is already a package built on bento which depends on old version of
libB.so., and it's already used by many users.
And now libB.so's version is bumped, there's another package built on *bento*
which depends on new libB.so, but that package has exactly same version-revision
with previous one. A user can't tell if his package is latest or not by looking at
the package version.

--
Tadayuki OKADA