Date:      Wed, 28 Mar 2001 22:28:56 -0500
From:      The Babbler <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Punishment for promiscuous behavior

Ok, I'm now regularly running my ethernet card in promiscuous mode,
because I've finally (yay!) got my vmware working, and it sets up
bridged networking, which sets the interface into promiscuous mode.

But it's a laptop, and I sometimes want to move it away from the
network.  Now, I could remove the dongle, I suppose, but that mechanism
is rather delicate (I've done in a couple of network cards that way), so
I've always just popped out the entire card and left the dongle
permanently attached.

No big deal 'til I went into promiscuous mode; now it locks up hard when
I do that and I must power down.  (Even CTL-ALT-ESC in the console, to
try to trigger the kernel debugger, doesn't work.  It's totally locked
up.)

First, I'm quite surprised by the fact the "ifconfig ep0 down" doesn't
fix the problem, although
"ngctl msg ep0: setpromisc 0" does.  Does this surprise or disturb
anybody else?  Should I enter an official problem report about it?

Second, I've created a little "pop" command to do that to try to save me
from myself, but inevitably I will sometimes forget and the penalty for
forgetting is pretty high.  Is there a fix available for this bug?  If
not, is there any reason on principle why it ought not or could not be
fixed?

And if the answer to both questions is "no," would anybody be able to
suggest where I ought to set breakpoints in order to debug this so that
I could get to work on writing a patch . . .

PS: Is there any easier way to get into the kernel debugger from X
without having to do the sequence CTL-ALT-F2 / CTL-ALT-ESC?  Not that
it's a huge deal, but . . . .

--
"Brian, the man from babble-on"              bts@babbleon.org
Brian T. Schellenberger                      http://www.babbleon.org