Date:      Thu, 9 Apr 1998 09:53:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris Martino <chrismar@mail.eclipse.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Installation Problems

To Whom it May Concern:

Yesterday a friend and I tried installing FreeBSD 2.2.5 from CD, and to
say the least we ran into some problems.  I'm hoping someone can help.
I've read through the FAQ and it didn't seem to help any.

 Heres what happened:

Stuck the #1 CD in the drive which happens to be F:\
and read the README.TXT and printed out the INSTALL.TXT

We looked to see how much free space he had left, and Win95 reported that
he had 630 megs free on C:.

So, in the installation guide it said to use the FIPS utility to prepare
a DOS partition.  We did that, and it said the maximum size we could use
was 354, I don't know why it was 354, and win95 reported 630 free.

Anyways, we went a head and ran it, and then we ended up with a 354 mb
dos, or so we assume. Anyways, when we rebooted and windows came back up
there was a happy little D:\ drive.

After than we exited to DOS and ran the view program. And then we chose
to run teh install.bat so we could begin the install.  It failed to boot,
I don't remember the exact error, but it had something to do with
permissions.

Re rebooted again into windows and then formated the new D:\ tp be
useable by windows and then ran the install.bat again. Same thing.  So,
we rebooted again and BAM!! got this little thing that says "Welcome to
FreeBSD 2.2.5 -Currnet.  We thought we were set. So, we entered the
novice installation and the little FDISK thing came up, we saw a
partition that was being unused, and we assumed that that was the one we
wanted, so we selected it and decided to use it all.  No insted of saying
unused it said "freebsd" so we figured okay...got that part done.

We continued on with the installation by selecting the stuff we wanted to
install. Picked what we wanted and then pressed okay..  Now the prblems
starting happening.  It said something like "WARNING: / was not found"
and it did the same for /usr , and /var.  So we said uh oh, and then he
ctrl-alt-deleted to restart again.

Now when it boots it says:

F1 .... BSD
Choose F?

Or something to that effect.  So, we tried the F1, and it got something
like error, kernel not found....and then hangs at
boot:

which is what i figurted considering we never really installed anything.

So, then we decided to reboot again with his restore cd in the drive,
okay phew something finally came up, so ewe exited to DOS and then went
to C: and noticed everything was gone.  We completly erased everything.

Now, my question to you is, from what I tell you does it seem like we did
anything wrong? I don't know what happened so I hoping you can tell me
some ideas to try.  As far as I know he is doing a restore of
Win95 tonight and tomorrow we are gonna start totally from scratch.

Thanks,
Chris