Date:      Thu, 30 Jan 2003 11:00:37 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1044378037.589b72@mired.org>
To:        chris-freebsd@randomcamel.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Modifying /etc/rc?

In <20030130164007.GA29699@zot.electricrain.com>, Chris Doherty <chris-freebsd@randomcamel.net> typed:
> unless I'm wrong, /etc/rc.local exists specifically so you don't have to
> modify /etc/rc. /etc/rc refers to rc.local as "traditional (but rather
> obsolete)", but nowhere in my FreeBSD travels over the past four years
> have I found any suggestion of what else you're supposed to use.

What obsoletes /etc/rc.local is /usr/local/etc/rc.d. Server startup
scripts and the like used to be bodily added to /etc/rc.local. These
days, they go into /usr/local/etc/rc.d as separate scripts.

That's also the correct solution for this case. Instead of trying to
use the vnc script directly, use a script that sets the path and then
invokes vnc.

	<mike