Date:      Mon, 11 Jun 2001 16:12:11 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Mikulas Patocka <mikulas@artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Patented algorithm in FreeBSD

> > So it looks like we have prior art by around 6 years, which would
> > invalidate the patent iff it was the same thing.
>
> Does it mean that the algorithm is free to use by everyone or free to use
> only in freebsd? I would like to implemet these page table back pointers
> too and I'm scared by the patent... I don't know how US patent system
> works.

The existence of prior art invalidates the patent entirely, not just in
the case of prior art.

If that wasn't the case, it would be possible to patent an existing
technique and prevent anyone new from starting to use it, which would be
even more absurd than the current situation.

So, you are very safe in using this technique, for a variety of reasons:

 - The patent is almost certainly invalid, and proving this in court
   would be straightforward.
 - Compaq (owner of the Digital patents now) is not in the business of
   patent litigation, nor do they typically sell their patents to other
   companies that are, so the chances of you being forced to defend your
   use of a similar algorithm in court in the first place are very small.

The usual disclaimers (eg. I am Not a Lawyer) apply, of course.

Good luck with your project!