Date:      Sun, 7 Jan 1996 21:52:55 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        bugni@advmarine.com (Paul Bugni)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Embedding

Paul Bugni stands accused of saying:

> I'm currently gathering information about embedable
> operating systems to possibly use for a marine
> navigation/charting system.

FreeBSD would embed reasonably well.  You're not to specific about
your application, so it's not clear what your platform is or what
operational requirements you have.

> A friend has turned me on to FreeBSD, and I'm wondering if
> anyone has experience in embedding this OS, and in working
> with the Mach lites extension.

You've already heard from Peter Dufalt; I've done a reasonable amount
of embedded work but none with FreeBSD.

> QNX or OS9 seem to offer most of what I need, but the
> light weight thread possibilities as well as the
> avialiable tools make FreeBSD a potentially more
> attractive choice.

Be sure that you actually need a full operating system; a few other
things to consider would be RTEMS (portable realtime executive, see
ftp.cygnus.com for a lot of embedded stuff), VxWorks (Wind River, they
have some _very_ nice tools, but very expensive), PSOS+ (used by a number
of military projects around here) and perhaps surprisingly OS/2.

> Thanks for any information you can provide.

Some more specifics might be handy; you say "navigation/charting",
are we talking GPS-onscreen-map-and-CDROM-database? or just an overpowered
compass?

For such a mission-critical application, it's always worth remembering
the KISS principle.

> Paul Bugni.

]] "Who does BSD?" "We do Chucky, we do."                               [[