Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 2002 18:11:44 +0100
From:      Jean-Mark Dupoux <jmdupoux@lineone.net>
To:        mikko@rsasecurity.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Advansys PCI SCSI

hello Mikko,

I have  several Advansys-based cards at home and im prettythe warning
line is  not  "normal" -  it never shows up in my boots, and in any case
it looks as if it's affecting the potential  transfer speed to your tape
drive

got a couple of general tips that might help you though, assuming
cables etc are not the likely issue

1. If you have any doubts about the  card, download the flash-rom
file and installer from advansys's site  - it  means booting into
DOS somehow, but the  software is very intelligent in that it will
detect the exact card model, the type of ROM chip (if it is really
flashable), and the firmware version you currently have, as well as
checking the flash file before you try to use it

2. if I ever have  problems with a card and a particular combination of
hardware,
I've found one thing which usually gets things running is to make a
settings  change in the
Advansys BIOS (press ctrl-A at the banner) - select SCSI configuration,
go down to BIOS Target Control and change that to "disabled" for all the
SCSI ID's except the card's own  (The major drawback of doing this is if
you're dual-booting and you needed to boot off a BIOS control drive
attached to the card for the other OS, because with the option disabled
it will be  completely invisible until a driver gets loaded)

jean-mark
jmdupoux_@_lineone.net