Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2012 12:25:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Chris H" <chris#@1command.com>
To:        "freebsd-stable" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   When did Xorg remove support for keyboards, and mice?!

Greetings,
 Seems I get bitten by this every time I build a desktop on a new freebsd install.
After all these years, I'd have the _definitive_ answer by now.
I just put (built) a copy of 8.3 on an x(i)386 (AMD32) box. Built/installed
kernel && world. All went pretty well. Just finished building Xorg and friends.
Chose xfce4 as a desktop. The mouse and keyboard work "famously" on a tty. But
HALD(8) && DBUS haven't a clue. I get the idea these have been abandoned. :/
Anyway, I have hald_enable="YES" and dbus_enable="YES" in rc.conf(5).
I have the following in xorg.conf:
Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
Also tried:
    Option	"AutoAddDevices" "false"
but didn't work.

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "keyboard"
EndSection

The error(s) returned when attempting to use X is|are:
(II) config/hal: Adding input device AT Keyboard
(II) LoadModule: "kbd"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module kbd
(II) UnloadModule: "kbd"
(EE) Failed to load module "kbd" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) No input driver matching `kbd'
(EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (15)
(II) config/hal: Adding input device PS/2 Mouse
(II) LoadModule: "mouse"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module mouse
(II) UnloadModule: "mouse"
(EE) Failed to load module "mouse" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) No input driver matching `mouse'
(EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (15)

There is nothing in dmesg(8) to indicate any trouble.

Whats a person to do? install Windows? OSX?

Thank you for all your time and consideration.