Date:      27 Dec 1995 13:43:31 -0700
From:      "Owen Newnan" <onewnan@denitqm.ecte.uswc.uswest.com>
To:        "questions about FreeBSD" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   HTML & ATAPI continued

                       Subject:                               Time:10:26 PM
  OFFICE MEMO          HTML & ATAPI continued                 Date:12/26/95

I've figured out work-arounds on the FAQs, although I'd still like to know if
2.1 ships with an HTML client pre-installed. What I need to figure out is, can
my ATAPI drive be made to work with FreeBSD as it does with DOS, or should I
give up?  If not, how can I install packages given I am not internet attached
with FreeBSD and stagingto DOS garbles the filenames?

Recap and update: I installed 2.1 off CD by way of DOS.  I attempted the two
CD install options without avail.  I made the kernel with controller wdc1,
options ATAPI and device wcd0, all verbatim per LINT.  The kernel comes up
probing wdc1 successfully but with no mention of wcd0.  There is a wcd0c in
/dev.  If I insert a CD and attempt to

mount -t cd9660 /dev/wcd0c /mnt

it tells me that device is not configured.  If I MAKEDEV wcd0 with CD inserted
the command completes without comment, but no node of that name results.

I find no guidance from apropos or FAQ on debugging ATAPI.  A search on the
web reveals more ATAPI problems than solutions.  If you have guidance or can
direct me to documentation on this, that would be most appreciated!