Date:      Sun, 27 Oct 2002 10:58:22 +0100 (CET)
From:      Soeren Schmidt <sos@spider.deepcore.dk>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: burncd/cdcontrol

It seems Julian Elischer wrote:

Well, burncd is about to grow even more DVD support thanks to
donations of HW etc from our users. As usual it will be totally
open and free (as in beer)...

PS: I find it somewhat amusing that the loudest speakers for atapicam
    and cdrecord etc all, now ask for the ATAPI tools to work on SCSI...

PPS: Adding burncd support to the SCSI cd driver is a <30min job...

> cdrecord doesn't do DVDs and jorg Schiller is holding back on DVD mods
> so he can sell that version..
> DVD capable cdrecord is called cdrecord-PRO
> and costs $100.
> if he commands from burncd could be piped into a SCSI pipe,
> then that would probably work...
>
> I have an ATAPI dvd writer on a firewire<->atapi converter
> that connects to CAM via SBP-2.
> Using some patches for cdrecord that are available on the internet I
> got it to write fine, so tehatapi and SCSI commands for writing are the
> same. But that is a hack, because as isaid before, teh cdrecord that
> REALLY knows about DVDs is not free.
>

> On Sat, 26 Oct 2002, Nate Lawson wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 26 Oct 2002, Julian Elischer wrote:
> > > what would it take to allow burncd to work on SCSI devices.?
> >
> > You got it backwards -- is atapicam complete enough to work reliably with
> > cdrecord?  There's no reason for us to replicate a more feature-complete
> > port in our src tree.
> >
> > -Nate

> > with "unsubscribe freebsd-current" in the body of the message

-Søren