Date:      Mon, 21 Oct 2002 09:37:17 -0500
From:      "Jaime Bozza" <jbozza@thinkburst.com>
To:        <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <jdp@polstra.com>
Subject:   cvsup and refuse file gotcha

I ran into a gotcha with refuse files that was starting to really
irritate me before I figured it out.  I had checked the FAQ on cvsup
along with searching the archives, but I didn't find anything regarding
this issue.

I wanted to start refusing these (under RELENG_4):
	src/contrib/perl5/lib/File/Spec
	src/contrib/perl5/lib/File/Spec.pm

I created a file /usr/sup/refuse and added the above files in.  It
stopped grabbing everything under the Spec/ directory, but it kept
grabbing Spec.pm.  I read the FAQ about RCS files, so I made the line

	src/contrib/perl5/lib/File/Spec.pm*

And it still download the file.  No matter how many ways I referenced
the file, it wouldn't stop downloading.  Until I remembered that perl is
no longer in the FreeBSD tree.  Changing it to:

	src/contrib/perl5/lib/File/Attic/Spec.pm*

worked.  Luckily I remembered that files removed across revisions are
placed into the Attic.

Regardless, I was thinking that another FAQ entry could be made
recommending that you check the cvs tree to located the *actual*
filename/location and that the location may not match the location of
the file in your source tree.  (At least, when files have been removed
from later revisions of the tree but not from the revision you're using)

Obviously not a huge issue, but something that'll come up with -CURRENT
removing portions of the base that are still used in -STABLE.

Jaime Bozza