Date:      Fri, 10 Jan 1997 01:44:04 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        config@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Config Manifesto comments?

> Well, it's been more than a week since I posted the first-draft FCF
> proposal, and the silence has been deafening.
>
> Should I take it then that 'vi' is the configuration tool-of-choice and
> pack the whole thing in?

No, please don't.  Assume instead that those of us who care were either
preparing for or are now directly at USENIX. :-)

I've spent a lot of time talking with BSDI about their installation
and system management interface which will debut in 3.0, BTW.  Guess
what - it's HTML based.  When I raised the objections that others have
raised about the limitations of crafting good looking interfaces in
HTML, the response was "yeah, we know, but face it - there's a GUI
standard now, the HTML browser is it, end of story.  Learn to live
with it, warts and all, OK?"

They also don't feel that it's worthwhile to attempt to use lynx or
make the product lynx friendly.  In BSD/OS 3.0, you're asked enough
questions to configure the network and then optionally start the X
server + a browser (in this case Netscape since they're licensed for
it) or simply go to another station if you're not able to run a
browser (say because you're on a serial console).

You know what?  I think they're right.  Technology is simply moving
so fast that these assumptions are no longer unreasonable, nor would
they be by the time we actually deployed our own system.

How that effects the romeo/juliette abstraction I'm not sure, exactly,
but I still like the idea of keeping all the "system properties" in
property lists (which can be arbitrarily nested) and making them the
responsiblity of a single daemon.  That allows you to write multiple
agents for frobbing the data, not just our nifty installation and
setup tool.  I guess that means that Juliette is safe. :-) Romeo might
need an HTML hair transplant, but I need to go back and read the spec
in more detail before I respond.  This is on my post-conference TODO
list so please don't despair, Mike! :-)

						Jordan