Date:      Fri, 13 Oct 2000 01:35:07 GMT
From:      "Will Swank" <will_swank@hotmail.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   installation over FTP

Hi I'm having problems configuring my linksys PCMCIA ethernet card for
installing FreeBSD.  I have a Toshiba Satellite 225CDS (100mhz pentium)
laptop.  I have to boot from the floppy drive since I can only have one
drive in at a time.  I'm currently running Windows NT on this laptop so I
don't have the option for MS-DOS prompt installation from the CD.  The funny
thing is, my laptop won't boot from the Walnut Creek distribution of
FreeBSD, but it boots from the Windows NT CD.  Is there a reason for this?
Anyways, on with my ethernet problem.  After I load from the floppy I choose
the Visual Configuration mode.  It says that I have 8 conflicts.  After
reading up on my Linksys card, I learned that it supports the ne2000 driver
under Linux.  I deleted all other drivers for the ethernet card and was
still left with the conflict between the ne2000 and the PC-Card.  This is
where I get confused.  I changed the IRQ and I/O address for the ne2000.
The conflicts were resolved.  After that I hit "Q" and exited the hardware
setup.  The kernel starts probing my system and says "PC-Card found.  Use
this media as installation method. etc?" I chose "Yes"  and the lights on
the ethernet adapter light up and it links up to my DSL router.  I continue
setting up drive partitions etc. and get the screen where it asks what kind
of install I would like to preform.  I choose ftp behind firewall (my DSL
router has a built in firewall) and hit "Enter."  It gives me the option of
installing using SLIP, PPP, but no ethernet.  I get to this point and I'm
dumbfounded.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Regards,
William Swank