Date:      Wed, 26 May 1999 18:14:01 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Peter Brevik <pb@ludd.luth.se>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   RS232 status read ioctl (RI,DSR,CTS etc..)

   Hi,

I am programming a rs232 device (driver) which is using the status line's
rather than the tx/rx lines to control the device.
I have succedded without any problem to send signals by using the ioctl's
described in "man 4 tty" man page.

There is a ioctl called "TIOCMGET" which is intended asfaik to read these
status lines. However this seems not to be the case.

By printf's in kernel sio driver I found out that the sio.c driver will only
actually read the status register from the chip at opening of the device. And
it seems the bits in the resulting code does not correspond to what actually
are physicaly on the rs232 connector anyway.
I would not like to use brute force, like inb()/outb() commands..

Any suggestions on how to get TIOCMGET ioctl() to work as intended ..?

          /Peter