Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 2000 17:44:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@dsuper.net>
To:        David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proposal to clarify mbuf handling rules

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000, David Malone wrote:

> Personally, I'd go for the simplest option, to just add a M_RDONLY
> flag to the m_flags and use the three condition check for writability.
> (That way we can even make normal mbuf read only if we want to -
> not that that is necessarily an advantage ;-)
>
> I guess we could impliment it either way and use macros so it is easy
> to change later.
>
> 	David.

	But how would you take care of removing a M_RDONLY flag for an mbuf
  referring to certain external storage where that one mbuf is not the only
  mbuf referring to it? i.e. you would have to remove M_RDONLY from all the
  mbufs referring to the same ext_buf, and this is impossible (and
  undesired, actually, as it would involve big overhead as a result of
  giant locks).
	Or, if that doesn't matter, because you'll be using the three
  condition check for safe-writability testing, then why do we need the
  M_RDONLY flag in the first place?

  Cheers,

  Bosko Milekic
  bmilekic@technokratis.com