Date:      Wed, 08 Dec 2004 16:30:57 -0800
From:      sp0ng3b0b <sp0ng3b0b@sbcglobal.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Question about updating 5.3

There seem to be a LOT of great articles about how to update a freebsd
system. But they all seem to recommend a different approach. I am
looking for a simple way to keep the OS up to date.

Background info: I am going to be running a few FreeBSD production
servers. I need to document everything first.

I have a cvsup file that looks like this:
*default host=cvsup4.us.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/usr
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_5_3
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default compress
src-all

I would update FreeBSD like this:
# make buildworld
# make buildkernel
# make installkernel
# reboot
boot in single user mode
# mergemaster -p
# make installworld
# mergemaster
# reboot

However, I recently read about "make update". Should I be using this
instead? Any advice is appreciated.