Date:      Wed, 5 Mar 2003 12:04:14 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1047319455.6dc16a@mired.org>
To:        Peter Elsner <peter@servplex.com>
Cc:        taxman <taxman@ACD.NET>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Make installworld problem (4.7)

In <5.2.0.9.2.20030305114541.00bd5cb8@mail.servplex.com>, Peter Elsner <peter@servplex.com> typed:
> The steps I do are as follows:
> 1) cvsup -g -L 2 stable-supfile (from /usr/src/cvsup)
> 2) make buildworld (from /usr/src)
> 3) make installworld (from /usr/src)
> 4) modify my kernel (from /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/KERNEL NAME)
> 5) make buildkerenel (from /usr/src)
> 6) make installkernel (from /usr/src)
> 7) reboot
> 8) run mergemaster
> I've done it this way for the past 3 years and it has never failed me yet.

You've been lucky. Things other than the handbook order can - and
often do - work. But the order in the handbook was carefully worked
out to minimize the risk you are taking in doing the upgrade.

For instance, by doing the installworld before rebooting on the new
kernel, you're committing yourself to running the new kernel before
you know if it'll boot or not. Since kernels have to support old
binaries, but not vice versa, you can usually reboot with the new
kernel and old world and have it work. I do that regularly when
upgrading systems with src/obj mounted via nfs.

Also, you need at least one last reboot. Running mergemaster changes
configuration files that are used at system startup. Unless you reboot
after running mergemaster, you risk those changes not taking effect.

	<mike