Date:      Fri, 17 Feb 2012 17:37:14 +1100
From:      "Dewayne Geraghty" <dewayne.geraghty@heuristicsystems.com.au>
To:        "'Bruce Cran'" <bruce@cran.org.uk>
Subject:   RE: New BSD Installer

To answer an earlier question by Bruce...

I've included the gpart commands that should allay your concerns about fdisk and bsdlabel. Like you I use MBR for exactly the
reasons that Freddie has articulated, and share Jeremy's concerns.  GPT doesn't yet suit my operations model for bootable media;
so

The following will prepare the partitions/slices for a conventional device, for example a small usb drive

 D=da1 SIZE=1G
 gpart create -s MBR $D

 gpart add -b63 -s $SIZE -t freebsd $D    # to insert s1
 gpart create -s bsd ${D}s1               # create s1 as BSD
 gpart add -s 300M -t freebsd-ufs ${D}s1  # create partition s1a
 gpart add -s 16M  -t freebsd-swap ${D}s1 # create swap
 gpart add         -t freebsd-ufs ${D}s1  # rest to s1d

 gpart add -s $SIZE -t freebsd $D # to insert s2
 gpart create -s bsd ${D}s2 # create s2
 gpart add -s 256M -t freebsd-ufs ${D}s2  # should be s2a
 gpart add -s 16M  -t freebsd-ufs ${D}s2  # should be s2d
 gpart add -s 32M  -t freebsd-ufs ${D}s2  # should be s2e
 gpart add -s 48M  -t freebsd-ufs ${D}s2  # should be s2f
 gpart add -s 64M  -t freebsd-ufs ${D}s2  # should be s2e
 gpart add         -t freebsd-ufs ${D}s2  # should be s2h

 gpart bootcode -b /boot/boot0 ${D}
 gpart bootcode -b /boot/boot ${D}s1
 gpart set -a active -i 1 ${D}  # This is redundent, but emphasises the point :)

I like the convenience of this approach as it eliminates the fiddly fdisk and bsdlabel work. Enjoy.

Regards, Dewayne.