Date:      Thu, 29 Apr 2004 12:04:30 -0400
From:      "Carlos Castro" <sabisab@cantv.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Help...

Hi there:

I'm trying to recompile my kernel to add sound abilities for my ess 1869
sound card. I've taken the generic file and added simply the "options
pcm" line. The file configs, depends, and installs flawlessly. However,
it doesn't boot! Well, it does, but when mounting the root file system,
it exits with this message:

Mounting root from ufs: /dev/ad0s2a
Pid 41 (sh), uid 0: exited on signal 8
Init: /bin/sh on /etc/rc terminated abnormally, going to single user
mode

I then try to load a shell, but it exits all the time. It gives me the
same message again, and again...

I've checked every single bit of information on the net regarding this
problem, but nothing helps...

I have:

Installed the kernel using security=-1; single user mode; chflags;
checked the /rc/sh script... Everything...

Please help me anybody out there.

Best regards,

Carlos...