Date:      Tue, 11 Apr 1995 01:23:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        nnd@gw.itfs.nsk.su (Nickolay N. Dudorov)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Gated and /etc/rc

> 	There is some problems with gated in current
> /etc/{rc,netstart}:
>
> 1) It seems to me that correct way to start gated is
>    'gdc start'  (or even '/usr/local/bin/gdc start')

I don't use gated here so I can't speek to this one.  Don't you
need gated running before you can issue gdc control commands?

> 2) Upon startup gated write his pid in /var/run/gated.pid
> (along with /var/run/gated.version ?)
>    But /var/run cleaning is placed after netstart in /etc/rc ;-(

I am aware of this and am working on fixing it.  The /etc/rc files
basically got into a real mess a few weeks back and I am just now
getting the last few wrinkles out of them.

> 	Can somebody propose any solution for this ?

Move this line:
(cd /var/run && { rm -rf -- *; cp /dev/null utmp; chmod 644 utmp; })
to be right after:
mount -a -t nonfs

and it should fix the problem for you, unless /var happens to be
NFS mounted.

> I can place /var/run cleaning BEFORE netstart, but currently
> it is AFTER NFS-mounting, which is after netstart ...

See above..