Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2001 12:30:31 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Dave Swager <dvswager@arc.nasa.gov>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: alpha/32757: fatal kernel trap using generic kernel for install on Alpha DS20

Dave Swager writes:
 > Turns out I was incorrect on the amount of memory installed on this box.  I
 > inherited it from the previous admin., and the numbers he gave me were
 > incorrect.  It actually had 4G of RAM, which apparently was what was
 > causing the problem.  Kind of embarrassing since that information is
 > clearly displayed as the OS is loading.  I removed all but 1G of memory,
 > and the install worked fine.
 >
 > I remember reading somewhere that the install can't use more than some
 > amount of memory.  Once everything is installed, can I put the full 4G in
 > there?

The highest you can safely go is 2GB.  Most FreeBSD drivers don't use
busdma, so they must use direct mapped DMA on alpha.  We can only make
the direct map cover 2GB of ram on this machine.

If you upgrade to -stable, you can leave all the RAM in the box &
limit FreeBSD to using the lower 2GB via a bootloader
option. (maxmem).  This is handy if you're dual booting with Tru64 or OVMS.

Drew