Date:      Sun, 10 Feb 2008 21:10:03 GMT
From:      "Andrew Hammond" <andrew.george.hammond@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/118332: man page for top does not describe STATE column wait events

The following reply was made to PR docs/118332; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Andrew Hammond" <andrew.george.hammond@gmail.com>
To: "Giorgos Keramidas" <keramida@freebsd.org>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 12:38:02 -0800

 ------=_Part_1733_29124706.1202675882451

 On Feb 10, 2008 11:51 AM, Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org> wrote:

 > On 2007-11-29 18:27, Andrew Hammond <andrew.george.hammond@gmail.com>
 > wrote:
 > > >Number:         118332
 > > >Category:       docs
 > > >Synopsis:       man page for top does not describe STATE column wait
 > events
 >
 > > The manual page for top does not describe or provide a pointer to
 > > descriptions of STATEs such as swread, nanslp, select, piperd, etc.
 >
 > The manpage describes `STATE' with the somewhat cryptic text:
 >
 >    STATE is the current state (one of "START", "RUN" (shown as "CPUn"
 >    on SMP systems), "SLEEP", "STOP", "ZOMB", "WAIT", "LOCK" or the
 >    event on which the process waits),
 >
 > Any lowercase string is the name of a kernel-related event, and it would
 > be a very daunting task to list them *all* in the manpage.  Do you think
 > we can phrase this particular part of the manpage in a way that is more
 > helpful?  If yes, we are open to suggestions.

 How about continuing on with something like the following.

 "Here are some common events which can cause a process to wait and what they
 mean."

 Then list the ones that a user is most likely to see while dealing with a
 performance problem along with brief descriptions and finally provide a
 reference to the canonical documentation.