Date:      Sun, 27 Apr 2003 00:55:59 -0500
From:      Jonathan Drews <j.e.drews@worldnet.att.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Thrilled with FreeBSD

Hi:

 I have been using FreeBSD since January and just these past two weeks I have
gotten my CUPS printing setup and my DRI working for my Radeon card. I also
have my Epson scanner working as well as sound and my wheel mouse. I am
really pleased with FreeBSD as a desktop. I am still having a few minor
configuration problems with CUPS  but I will get them worked out. The problem
is that I need to find out where to specify the path to the CUPS lpr. The
CUPS lpr is in /usr/local/bin but the path has /usr/bin first. For DRI I
found Eric Anholt's site to be very good:
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/dri/index.html

 Most of the apps work really well. I found that the *.ics files from
Korganizer are recognized by my Windows Outlook calendar at work. They
integrate flawlessly. In addition the *.rtf files from the word processor Ted
(the new version 2.14 is now in ports) render perfectly in my Microsoft Word,
at work. Even the tables display correctly. Abiword works very well too
(Abiword 1.9.0 is now in ports).  With Gnumeric I can read and edit *.xls
files and then send those back to work. I first save the *.xls as a
*.gnumeric and then edit it. Finally I save the finished spreadsheet as a
*.xls and send it back. There are some font changes but the touch ups I have
to do are really trivial.  FreeBSD really works quite well as a desktop. I
would say, for me, the biggest benefit is the Scilab port, which is like
MatLab, a mathematical package. FreeBSD is a really fine system.

												Kind regards,
												Jonathan