Date:      Tue, 30 Dec 2008 13:39:08 +0100
From:      "Niels S. Eliasen" <nse@delfi-konsult.com>
To:        Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gjournal on powerpc ?

Hi Peter
Now... after quite a bit of work... I have a gjournal'ed file-
system.... while we are still waiting for ZFS/HammerFS ....
(testing the gjournaled file-system doing the good-ole CTRL-ALT-
POWER... really shines! how performance is otherwise.... i still need
to figure out)

just for the benefit of others going along:

It is MUCH easier if you have several partitions, where you have a
working FreeBSD system, and then setup the other partitions with
gjournal.....
and do follow the "man gjournal" guidelines.... even the references on
the FreeBSD docs page are out-of-date....

And in the process... I noticed that the 7.1-BETA 2 I had installed
from 3-4 weeks ago... was outdated! ;-)

a few observations:

1. how do you set the hardware clock on PowerPC ?? (dead-annoying that
before getting ntpdate/ntpd running... all dates on the filesystems
defaults to something in 1904 !!!)
2. speaking of ntpdate/ntpd.... "named" would like to start before
having set the date properly, which forces "named" to flunk out
because of the date.... how to circumvent this ?
3. 7.1-BETA2 complains on the logfiles in "/var/log" and they do not
created correctly... and have to be "touch"'ed accordingly...
4. I have a problem with the "locate" command... it appears that the
updatedb produces gibberish... and have tried to re-create the locate
db database... but still no luck....
5. How do make a recovery CD for PowerPC ??? (it would have made my
life a lot easier, having dump/restore easily available.... and
principally the rest of  the FreeBSD available)
6. Is there a "gpart" howto somewhere ? I understand the reason for
having gpart, but pdisk is easier to use.... ;-)

There are probably quite a number of PR's that needs/could be created
by this... but I honestly do not know how do this....

Den 16/12/2008 kl. 22.45 skrev Peter Grehan:

>> anyone knows if there are any "specialties" with regard to
>> gjournal and FreeBSD on PowerPC??
>> or anyone who has this runnning at all ??
>
> Niels, you're always at the bleeding edge :) I've not run
> gjournal, but I would hazard it should work fine.
>
> later,
>
> Peter.

kind regards

nse

"Ach, crivens, what a wee snotter....."

Quote from "The Wee Free Men" by Terry Pratchett