Date:      Fri, 30 Apr 99 13:07:16 PDT
From:      Ken Harrenstien <klh@us.oracle.com>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        Ken Harrenstien <klh@us.oracle.com>, freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: When is a FFS not a FFS?

> FreeBSD/alpha will mount UFS filesystems from NetBSD/alpha and OSF1 with
> no problems at all. Your problem is that FreeBSD/i386 puts the disklabel
> at a different place on the disk from the alpha OSs. On the alpha, the
> disklabel is stored at offset 64 in block zero but on FreeBSD/i386, it is
> stored at offset zero in block one of the FreeBSD fdisk slice (which can
> be anywhere).

If I understand this correctly, you are saying that FreeBSD *always*
expects to find and use a DOS partition, regardless of the actual
platform?

NetBSD appears to be able to work automatically either way so I blindly
assumed FreeBSD would be equally astute.  Still learning about their
differences...

However, I'm still a bit confused as to why "disklabel -r" was able to
find the disklabel.  Is it using a different algorithm from the kernel?

> I don't think FreeBSD/i386 is going to be sharing disks with different
> disklabel policies any day soon.

If someone like myself were to find the time to make this possible (by
borrowing NetBSD code) would it be permitted in FreeBSD?  Just want to
be clear whether this is due to policy or simple lack of resources.

Thanks!
--Ken