Date:      Thu, 15 Dec 2011 09:56:45 -0500
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        Borja Marcos <borjam@sarenet.es>, Jan Mikkelsen <janm-freebsd-hackers@transactionware.com>, Hugo Silva <hugo@barafranca.com>
Subject:   Re: mfi (Dell H700) + hot swapping doesn't appear to work with RC1

On Thursday, December 15, 2011 4:19:58 am Jan Mikkelsen wrote:
> On 15/12/2011, at 2:16 AM, Borja Marcos wrote:
>

> > On Dec 14, 2011, at 2:09 PM, Hugo Silva wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> First of all apologies if this has been fixed in RC3. I set this server
> >> up with mfsbsd, which is RC1, and didn't get to update the system yet.
> >>
> >> This box has 6 hdds, a 2-mirror zpool was set up as the root pool, with
> >> 2 spares.
> >>
> >> While testing hot swapping I noticed that while the controller detects
> >> disk removal/insertion, the zpool will never recover. The problem seems
> >> to be deeper than ZFS, as disklabel/fdisk/etc also fail on the
> >> removed-and-reinserted disk.
> >>
> >> At the ZFS level, doing a zpool clear yields more errors on the removed
> >> disk; rebooting becomes the only option to make the pool healthy again.
> >>

> >> Is this normal? Did I miss any step?
> >
> > I assume that you have tried to use the H700 as a "JBOD" card, defining
logical volume for each hard disk.

> > The problem is: that gorgeous, fantastic, masterful, Nobel award candidate
card, has a wonderful behavior in that case. If you extract one of the disks,
the logical volume associated to it is invalidated. So, you insert a
replacement disk, and the card refuses to recognize the volume. What is even
worse, in order to recover it's mandatory to reboot the complete system *AND*
go through the RAID configuration utility.

> > That's the problem. The card refuses  to work as a simple disk controller
without frills, and the frills get in the way.

> > To summarize: it isn't FreeBSD's fault, no matter which version you use.
It's a "feature" coming directly from the geniuses who designed the card.

> (Sending again to avoid moderation.)
>
> Hugo: You missed a step. Borja: No reboot required.
>
> For the mfi controllers I have been testing recently (MegaRAID 9261-8i), you
need to install the sysutils/megacli port, and use that to clear the
"foreignness" of the disk you just added. Something like:

>    MegaCli -CfgForeign -Clear -a0
>
> You should be able to then recreate it as a JBOD device, and progress
through whatever higher level recovery you need to do.

Can you do this by marking it as 'good' via mfiutil and then using mfiutil
to create a volume?

--
John Baldwin