Date:      Mon, 06 Jan 1997 13:20:54 -0700
From:      Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
To:        Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org>
Cc:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem appears from  migration from bt0 to ncr0

> > I've recently migrated a host using a Buslogic 946C to an NCR 53C810.
> Which FreeBSD version is that ?
> Please test with a 2.2-BETA, if possible ...

It's 2.1.5R.  I'll try it out with 2.2B as soon as possible.  By the
way, do you know if it's safe to update just the ncr driver code?

> Well, the DFRS is known to go asleep for more than a minute :(

Blah!

> You can extend the time-outs (in the GENERIC SCSI code) to be
> longer than that, for all commands. This should avoid the code
> that thinks the NCR might be dead, if no progress is made for
> a long time, and no NCR chip and SCSI bus reset would occur ...

Sounds good.  And I know where that is, too.  :-)

> What kind of tape device is that ?

Wangtek 6130-HS DDS-1.

> I've been thinking whether the tape is reset to use asynchronous
> transfers after the bus reset, but looking on the messages above,
> it is obvious that the 4MB transfer rate has successfully been
> negotiated again. Hmmm ... No idea what's going on here ...

Neither do I---but that's because I'm as far from being a SCSI expert as
Andromeda is from Cleveland.

FYI: the DAT drive always appeared as async with the buslogic controller
(and the QIC drive in that system was sync).  With the ncr, the DAT
drive is now sync and the QIC is async!  Curious.

Thanks very much for your suggestions.  I'll try 'em out, then try
upgrading to 2.2-BETA, and try 'em out again.

Take care!

--k