Date:      Wed, 26 Jan 2005 09:42:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mervin McDougall <mcd_advisory@yahoo.com>
To:        Nikolas Britton <freebsd@nbritton.org>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: kern/71142; VESA 1024x768 @ the console

--- Nikolas Britton <freebsd@nbritton.org> wrote:

> Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 23:42:47 -0600
> >Nikolas Britton <freebsd@nbritton.org> wrote:
> >

> >>I got tired of having to patch by hand all the
> systems I wanted this
> >>patch on and all the systems I patched but then
> updated with cvsup so I
> >>made a simple batch script to do it for me, this
> script will do steps
> >>1...9 (see below). all you have to do is paste it
> into a file and then
> >>run it as root (i.e. "sh vesa-patch-script"):
> >>

> >Care to make it a port ? O should I do it for you
> put you as maintainer
> >or me if you don't have the time to spare ?
> >

> Make what a port, you mean that hack I called a
> script? lol, I guess it
> could be, never made a port b4, but it would have to
> be redone as I'd
> never sign my name to it. It has no error control
> except for a cascading
> failure if the patch doesn't download or untar and
> it should include the
> patch to fix the mouse error. I think a better idea
> might be to redo it
> into a real script and post it to the PR?:
>
> Some pseudocode off the top of my head:
>
> if FreeBSD doesn't = 5.x die.
> if user doesn't have src installed die.
> if not root die.
> cd into tmp.
> if current-vesa_patch.tar.gz exist check md5 hash
> and if its the same
> continue elseif patch doesn't exist download it and
> check md5 hash
> continue if same else die.
> if /tmp/current-vesa_patch dir exist remove it.
> untar the patch.
> cd into syscons.
> backup files to be patched.
> patch the files, if fail replace the mangled files
> with the backups and
> then die.
> (could just use pre-patched files and skip the
> patching part?)
> cd into vidcontrol.
> cp new vidcontrol files.
> make the new vidcontrol program.
> do the mouse patch crap.
>
> I know only perl so it would have to be done in perl
> unless someone else
> wants to make it a real sh script.

If someone is going to make this into a port, and is
looking towards maintaining and upgrading it then I am
all for it. I am no programmer but if it means
learning some shell scripting to do it I would.

But on a more serious note, I think it is important
since a lot of persons use freebsd for more than just
servers - I use it on my laptop at the university that
I attend. And, honestly it is the only way I will surf
the net on here cause too many kids have complained
about viruses on the networks here. Furthermore with
the instability of some Windows updates out there, I
would rather trust my assignments and essays and stuff
to a system that can keep my data from being
corrupted,  stolen and plaigirised and always
available.

So, if there is going to be a port I look foward to it
honestly. And, if I can help out in any way- say
documenting - I would at least till I can learn some
shell scripting... but the actual hacking of any C,C++
code, I will have to leave that to some experts who
know more.

This would be a good addition for persons who do
FreeBSD mobile. Or perhaps there should be an entire
port for mobile FreeBSD, for persons who want
applications and are using mobile computers... So it
would include everything from the Vesa hack to say
battery monitors and perhaps a little how to on how to
tweak freebsd for laptops :)

Anyways, that is my 2 cents