Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 1997 09:32:00 -0800
From:      Jim Shankland <jas@flyingfox.COM>
To:        caseq@magrathea.chance.ru, dg@root.com, jas@flyingfox.COM, rbezuide@oskar.nanoteq.co.za, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Coredumps and setuids .. interesting..

David Greenman writes:

> A correction...the signal sender need only match *either* the real or
> effective uid of the signal receiver....
>
> I actually didn't know it was this open until I read the manual page. I
> believe this behavior is required by POSIX, so it's not likely something
> that we would want to change.

It's not only a standard, it's even useful.  Think of a non-privileged
client process that runs a setuid-somebody (not necessarily root)
server process for, say, database access.  The server process,
being privileged, has unfettered access to the database, but
permission-checks accesses requested of it by the client.  The
client may still want to signal the server process to abort a long-running
query, for example.

Jim Shankland
Flying Fox Computer Systems, Inc.