Date:      Fri, 20 Aug 1999 04:03:42 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>, Lowkrantz Goran <Goran.Lowkrantz@infologigruppen.se>, "'freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Securelevel 3 ant setting time

At 04:14 PM 8/19/99 -0700, Doug wrote:

>         If you're going to do this anyway, why not just use xntpd? It's
>more reliable, has better mechanisms to resolve the skew between your
>various times sources, and will keep your clock within the range of
>adjustments that are allowable in securelevel 3.

I looked at the man page for xntpd once, and walked away (well,
VIRTUALLY walked away) scratching my head. It was totally opaque.
There was no simple information about how to synchronize with the NIST
every so often; also, it appeared that one needed to leave a large,
expensive daemon running all the time. So, I went with ntpdate, which
was simple and easy to understand (and which got out of the way after
it adjusted the clock). The system with the worst clock drifts no more
than 5 minutes every 12 hours -- and that, I suspect, is mainly due to
busy-waits with interrupts off in the ATAPI driver.

--Brett