Date:      Fri, 17 Aug 2001 13:44:17 -0400
From:      Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        john.raynor@tufts.edu
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Audio support on a Toshiba Satellite 335CDS

john.raynor@tufts.edu wrote:

> Please forgive me if this question is either off-topic, or
> too basic for this mailing list.
>
> I have an old Toshiba "Satellite 335CDS" laptop, with an
> "Yamaha OPL3-SA3" audio chipset.  I have, thus far, been
> using the generic kernel, but since I would like to play
> audio CDs, it looks like kernel customization is going to
> be in my future.

Audio CDs may already work (assuming your mixer defaults to
sane values).  Try inserting a CD and running "cdcontrol"

> Does anyone know what I have to put in the kernel
> configuration file to get the OPL3-SA3 chipset working
> happily?  I consulted section 15.2 of the online "FreeBSD
> Handbook" and saw that although the (presumably related)
> OPL-SAx chip is on list of supported hardware, the OPL3-SA3
> chip is not.  Since, however, the paragraph directly above
> that list clearly states that "This is not a complete
> list...", I have not (yet) given up hope.
>
> Somehow I doubt that just adding
>
> "device pcm" is going to do the trick.  I believe there is
> also a driver called "device opl".  Is that necessary?

If it's going to work, then it will work by just adding "device pcm"
to the kernel.

A quicker and easier way might be to run "kldload snd_pcm" as root.
To see if it worked, run dmesg immediatly afteward and look for the
pcm: xxxxxx messages.  If it says something like:
pcmN: <OPL3-SA3> port blah irq blah at device blah on blah then it
worked.

You will most likely have to build the audio devices as well.
Just cd /dev and run ./MAKEDEV sndN where N is the same as was displayed
on the pcm line in the dmesg.

You can see what your card can do then by typing cat /dev/sndstat

You can change the mixer settings by running mixer(8).

Good luck.

--
  \  |_ _|__ __|_ \ __| Jason Andresen        jandrese@mitre.org
 |\/ |  |    |    / _|  Network and Distributed Systems Engineer