Date:      Mon, 7 Sep 1998 01:33:40 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Mark Barbisan <barbisan@interlog.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Email for Dialup Account

Mark Barbisan wrote:

> This computer is a personal computer, which is *not* connected to a LAN.
> From the reading I have done on the FreeBSD site, I am pretty sure I have
> to use sendmail and fetchmail (my internet connection is a dynamic PPP
> dialup).

Well you could use those, but there are others. Fetchmail is fine, but I
find Exim easier to configure than Sendmail if you're new to it, so I'd
recommend you at least try that. www.exim.org (Exim was about the first
program I installed under FreeBSD, I didn't even look at Sendmail. From
what I'd heard about configuring it, I didn't want to.)

> Are there any tutorials available on the web concerning how to
> setup sendmail and fetchmail (if these are indeed the programs I need to
> use) for dialup, dynamic PPP connections?

Fetchmail is fairly simple. just create a .fetchmailrc along the lines
of

poll pop3.mail.isp.net
  protocol POP3
  user foo is bar here, password foobar

where foo is the name you use to log into your ISP's pop server to
collect mail, bar is your local login name, and foobar is your password
for your ISP's pop3 server.

I know bugger all about Sendmail though.

--
Ben Smithurst : ben@scientia.demon.co.uk : http://www.scientia.demon.co.uk/

PGP: 0x99392F7D - 3D 89 87 42 CE CA 93 4C  68 32 0E D5 36 05 3D 16
     http://www.scientia.demon.co.uk/ben/pgp-key.html (or use keyservers)