Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2000 21:26:05 +0200
From:      Thomas Bader <thomasb@trash.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Migrating from Linux to FreeBSD...

* Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch> [000727 20:41]:
> I've there got one remaining SuSE Linux 6.3 server (rebuilt some others f=
rom
> scratch) which needs to get migrated to FreeBSD in the next time.
> However, I definitively need to preserve the passwords of the non
> priviledged users. So now my question is: may I just merge
> /etc/passwd with /etc/shadow and generate a new master.passwd for
> the FreeBSD setup (not sure about the involved encryption issues)?

If I'm right, FreeBSD uses MD5 to encrypt the passwords in
master.passwd.  But under Linux, the passwords are just
crypted using crypt() (provided by libcrypt) in /etc/shadow.
You may set a new password to the non priviledged users.
They can change it to whatever they like (and to whatever's
quiet secure).

> What about diskquotas? May I copy quota.users and quota.groups over
> or should I better rebuild them?

You should rebuild them, I think.  It's better to do so.
But remember, you need to compile your own kernel to use
quotas.

Cheers, Thomas
--=20
  .-.   Thomas Bader =B7 thomasb@trash.net.remove =B7 http://www.t-bader.ch=
/  .-.
  oo|                                                                     o=
o|
 /`'\     Einen Unix-Shellaccount gibt es unter http://www.trash.net/    /`=
'\
(\_;/)       PGP Key-ID: 0x3A4B7F5D (RSA)  0x7584F5D8 (DSA/EG)          (\_=
;/)