Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2000 16:43:17 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <freebsd@sasknow.com>
To:        Suresh Kumar Satapati <sks1974@cs.tamu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: partitioning

On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, Suresh Kumar Satapati wrote:

> I am trying to install 3.3 on my machine, which has only 162 MB free hard
> disk space. By choosing Auto-default option, I could get only 57MB free
> space for /usr partition, which is not enough to hold the basic 'bin'
> distribution.
>
> Someone please advise me how to partition without using additional hard
> disk space.
> Can i play around with partition space of swap, / and /var

Yikes... You don't have a lot of space to play with.  If you want to to
anything moderately serious with FreeBSD, you really should consider
buying a dedicated hard drive.  The things are so darn cheap these days,
anyway.

You didn't tell us how much system memory your system has... But, if you
have 64MB or more, you could probably live with a very small (16-32MB?)
swap.  I have 128MB on a medium-load web/mail server and the swap space is
only used in highly exceptional circumstances.  (Read: uncapped recursion
in programs run as root, loading half a dozen instances of netscape, and
the like :-)

SO... You can probably safely trim your swap space to a low value.

The following is something that is not highly recommended, due to root
filesystem corruption concerns... However, to save a few extra megabytes
elsewhere, consider making a single slice mounted at / with all of your
available drive space (less your swap slice, of course :-)

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  50% Owner, Technical and Accounts

  SaskNow Technologies     http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2