Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 1997 13:19:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        "Alok K. Dhir" <adhir@worldbank.org>
Cc:        www@FreeBSD.ORG

On Mon, 27 Jan 1997, Alok K. Dhir wrote:

> ...is very poor.  Have you thought about trying excite's freeware engine
> to index the files?  I suspect it would work much better than what
> you have now...

Most of us are well aware of many shortcomings, but you input is
still welcome.  Would you be willing describe more specifically
what *you* perceive to be problems with the existing search
facility and what functionality you would like to se implemented?

[background: I am a doctoral student in information science and
have set up an independent study project looking and problems and
solutions for using message archives in general.  Hopefully, an
improvement of the FreeBSD message archives will be a spin-off.]

Thanks,

-john