Date:      Fri, 18 Aug 1995 17:15:29 +0200
From:      "Julian Stacey <jhs@freebsd.org>" <jhs@vector.eikon.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        gary@palmer.demon.co.uk, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bsd.ports.mk checksum

Satoshi

Re.  Gary P's
>  * I'm not sure how this ever became the case, it certainly was never my

& Your
> This is the logic: if the checksum in the files/md5 is different, that
> means files/md5 is updated after the distfile, which means the other
> support files (Makefile, patches, package files, etc.) are updated
> too, so it's no longer valid do to anything at this port (whether it's
> already extracted or not).

I'd really rather the make did not collapse in a heap just because some
boring distfile I don't need anymore has gone missing (like been removed
from the 2.0.5 cd-rom drive, or been dumped to tape, to save maybe 200+ Meg)

I don't care if the distfile is no longer there, or has changed,
I have ~850 Meg of compiled ports on my discs, that's enough ! I don't think
we should force the permanent presence of another 200/250M distfiles.

IMO we shouldn't check md5s on distfiles until we want to extract
(or maybe until we run a `make check-md5s` or whatever it is.
most people will rarely want to check their md5s on installed ports anyway,
because most people on dial up ip links will actually have a permanent backlog
of newly available distfiles to download, if they regularly track ports.
Most people will prefer to grap new distfiles & new apps, not fester with
old used distfiles.

I only want to check md5s when I'm extracting, not just when I'm doing
the 10 pass in a week at `cd /usr/ports ; make -i`
(it's never run through yet, there's allways new stuff to fetch + errors).

Because this md5 checking is so intrusive, I've turned it off permanently
with a .cshrc	setenv MD5_FILE /avoid_cdrom

I'd be delighted to re-enable my md5, if you'd change the mk file to not force
checking on `make all`, but until then I'm suppressing md5

Please consider removing this additional md5 check during `make all`,
& just have it for `make extract` & `make checksum`

Thanks

Julian S