Date:      Sat, 3 Oct 1998 23:04:34 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        ken@plutotech.com, karl@denninger.net, tom@uniserve.com, dnelson@emsphone.com, bright@hotjobs.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Long IDE probes?

Terry Lambert wrote...
> > That's not really the point of the delay.  The point of the "bus settle"
> > delay is to allow devices to recover from the bus reset that we send at
> > boot.  As Justin pointed out, modern devices take a relatively short period
> > of time to do this (100ms or so), but older devices may take longer.
>
> Uh, so why are we sending a reset?  Is it merely to allow us to wait?

No, it's not merely to allow us to wait.  It's so we can make sure all
previously negotiated transfer settings are blown away.  Here's a quote
from the SCSI-2 specification:

6.2.2.1 Hard reset alternative

SCSI devices that implement the hard reset alternative, upon detection of
the reset condition, shall:
[ ... ]
c) return any SCSI device operating modes to their appropriate initial
   conditions, similar to those conditions that would be found after a
   normal power-on reset. MODE SELECT conditions shall be restored to
   their last saved values if saved values have been established. MODE
   SELECT conditions for which no values have been saved shall be returned
   to their default values.
[ ... ]

You can tell whether a device implements the hard or soft reset alternative
by looking at a bit in the inquiry data.  The soft reset stuff appears to
be primarily for multiple-initiator setups.  None of the devices in my
system here support the soft reset alternative.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@plutotech.com