Date:      Sun, 4 Jun 1995 09:50:21 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   Re: sup is fetching whole src tree

As Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

> > While you're at it, how about making our custom version perl 5 clean?
>
> I am *NOT* a perl hacker, I can just scrap by fixing broken things.  That
> and can it be made to be both perl 4.136 and 5.0 clean?  Remeber, FreeFall
> runs releases, not the cutting edge, and the release is and will be for
> some time at perl 4.136.

Should be possible.  Perl 5 has some syntax extensions, e.g. an
unquoted @ within a "" string is now expanded; fixed scripts (that do
not use the extensions, but take care of them) should be backwards
compatible to Perl 4 however.

I've been told that the perl 5 compiler gives a detailed error message.
I don't have perl 5 by now, so please don't ask me... (yet).

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/