Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2023 20:43:02 -0700
From:      Carl Johnson <carlj@peak.org>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Persuading ssh -X to work from a RasPiOS system

bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net> writes:

> After a recent round of upgrades to both FreeBSD-current and RasPiOS64
> it developed that running
> ssh -X  [freebsd hostname]
> gets me logged in, but issuing
> xterm -sb
> reports
> xterm: Xt error: Can't open display:
> xterm: DISPLAY is not set
>
> After looking at the man page I repeated the experiment
> using
> ssh -Y
> to open the connection, with the same result.
>
> The X server side has
> X11Forwarding yes
> in /etc/ssh/sshd_config, I haven't tampered with anything
> yet on the FreeBSD side.
>
> The display server is on a local subnet connecting via
> router to a public address, but that didn't cause any
> problems before. All addressing is IPV4.
>
> Any hints what might be wrong? I haven't tried this
> experiment in a while, so it's unclear which side is
> causing the trouble.
>
> Thanks for reading,
>
> bob prohaska

Is there any chance you are using ControlPersist?  That defaults to off,
so you would have to enable it in your ssh config file, or via command
line options.  If you have it enabled then you would still be running
your original ssh instead of a new one.  In that case you would have to
run 'ssh -O exit <hostname>' to exit from your original ssh before
running ssh -X or ssh -Y.

Just another possibility to look into.

--
Carl Johnson		carlj@peak.org