Date:      Mon, 1 Mar 1999 19:32:19 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        assar@sics.se, bde@zeta.org.au
Cc:        eivind@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panic: zone: entry not free

>> There are many potential problems with SMP kernels.  Many of the inline
>> functions in <machine/cpufunc.h> depend on SMP.  We've already pessimised
>> the usual (non-SMP) case by uninlining a few too many spl-related
>> functions.
>
>So you think it would be bad to have zalloc and zfree as non-inline
>functions?  That would mean that KLDs would be different depending on
>the options used to build the kernel and that KLDs would need some way
>of figuring out the these options.  How should that be done?  By
>installing opt_global.h after building the kernel?

I think global options should be avoided if possible.  When they can't
be avoided, KLDs should probably extern versions of some functions that
are normally static inline, and whatever else it takes for them to be
to be independent of kernel options.  The kernel proper must provide
the uninlined versions (compiled with its options).

Bruce