Date:      06 Jun 2002 08:49:39 +0000
From:      Wayne Pascoe <freebsd@penguinpowered.org.uk>
To:        Jordi YC <jordi_yc@lycos.es>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Wireless had-hoc gateway with IPsec/IPFilter/IPNat?

Jordi YC <jordi_yc@lycos.es> writes:

> I would like to know if I can have 1 (one) FreeBSD server doing
> ipfilter, ipnat, and ipsec for a small intranet. Basically, is a
> home LAN connected through a cable modem + a wireless network card
> that connects 2 users. I would like to use ipsec instead of PPTP, so
> I can avoid "dialing" in order to secure the connection and save me
> some routing issues.

Yes. I have been doing this for some time now.

The important lines from /etc/start_if.wi0 (or the appropriate script
that is run when your wireless adaptor initialises) are:
wicontrol -i wi0 -c 1
wicontrol -i wi0 -e 1
wicontrol -i wi0 -n "yourwirelessnetname"

You should then supply a key with
wicontrol -i wi0 -k "blah"

In your ipfilter scripts, block or pass on the device unless you have
a fixed IP address. e.g.

pass in quick on wi0 from 192.168.1.0/24 to any port = 22 flags S/SA \
keep state

The above line will allow all machines on your network to ssh to the
world.

HTH.

--
- Wayne Pascoe  -  http://www.penguinpowered.org.uk/wayne/
    Give me enough medals, and I'll win any war.