Date:      Thu, 26 Sep 2002 19:26:15 +0200
From:      Jacques Caron <Jacques.Caron@IPsector.com>
To:        Chris Browning <browniesan@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: getting wi running as a bridge

At 19:08 26/09/2002, Chris Browning wrote:
>Hi all.  I am trying to do something similar, except that the last 3 lines are
>causing some problem.  If I just type the in on a shell, it gives me an error
>messsage about unknown variables.

You probably don't have bridging compiled in your kernel...

>One thing that isn't clear in the wi manpages is where these statements
>need to
>go?  I assume it is in some conf file or rc.* file, but it didn't say
>specifically.

Those are shell commands, so you can just type them in a shell. For
automatic configuration on startup, you can put them in a
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/whatever.sh (see other files in the same dir for
examples), or put the ifconfig commands in the appropriate place in
/etc/rc.conf (add the ssid and mediaopt and the end of the ifconfig_wi0
line) and the sysctl stuff in sysctl.conf.

But again, this will make your PC act as a "pure AP" bridging between a
wired LAN and a WLAN, it won't enable you to bridge two wired LANs via a WLAN.

Jacques.

-- Jacques Caron, IP Sector Technologies
    Join the discussion on public WLAN open global roaming: