Date:      Thu, 14 Jul 2016 13:06:30 -0700
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
To:        FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   proposal: splitting NIC RSS up from stack RSS

Hi,

now that 11 is branched and marching on, I'd like to start pushing
some more improvements/evolution into the RSS side of things.

The short list feedback from people is:

* it'd be nice to be able to configure per-device RSS keys on the fly;
* it'd be nice to be able to configure per-device RSS bucket mappings
on the fly;
* it'd be nice to be able to configure per-device RSS hash
configurations on the fly;
* it'd be nice to be able to configure per-bucket CPU set mappings on the fly;
* it'd be nice to split the RSS driver side, the RSS packet input side
and the RSS stack side of things up into separate options;
* UDP IPv6 RSS support would be nice (it works, but i need to
test/integrate bz's v6 udp locking changes for it to really matter);
* it'd be nice to scale linearly on incoming /and/ outgoing
connections. Right now incoming connections are easy, but outgoing
connections aren't so easy.

The other big thing, mostly to be expected, is:

* it'd be nice if this were better documented;
* it'd be nice if we had easy examples of this stuff working, complete
with library bits in base.

I'm going to tidy up the NetworkRSS bits in the wiki soon and map out
a roadmap for 12 with some other bits and pieces.

The "can we have RSS for NICs but not for the stack, and have
keys/mapping/bucket configurable" is actually a biggish thing, as that
ties into people wanting to abuse things with netmap. They don't care
about the rest of the stack being RSS aware; they just want to be able
to control the NIC configurations from userspace and then get it
completely out of the way.

I'd appreciate any other feedback/comments/suggestions. If you're
using RSS and you haven't told me then please let me know!

thanks,

-adrian