Date:      Sun, 17 Jun 2012 15:38:46 +0200
From:      Niclas Zeising <zeising@daemonic.se>
To:        Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: how to turn my computer into a TV

On 06/17/12 04:14, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
> I just moved into a very cramped apartment and we only have room for
> one monitor so it is the computer then I heard it is possible to make
> it so you can watch TV on your computer.... I know about some this for
> windows but I am dedicated FreeBSD person... how do I go about doing
> all the research I need to make sure that the following is true:
>
> 1. FreeBSD supports all hardware (and the needed functionality) to
> watch full screen tv on my computer (extra points of a remote can be
> used)... NOTE: This hardware must be currently fairly mass market
> 2. What ports to install (right now my desktop is x11-wm/xfce4) make this happen
> 3. Any tips on making it optimal

This is perhaps not the solution you are looking for, but many modern TV
screens has a VGA and a DVI input connector, as well as many fairly
modern computers has HDMI output. DVI is also compatible with HDMI, at
least to an extent. Perhaps you can find a monitor and use it as a
dual-purpose monitor instead?
Regards!
--
Niclas Zeising