Date:      Thu, 27 Aug 1998 14:32:23 -0400
From:      Martin Poulin <mpoulin@honk.org>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: my list

At 11:18 AM 8/27/98 -0500, Edmund_L_Mulligan@armstrong.com wrote:

>For me, my aborted attempt to install FreeBSD by FTP is my first time
>administering a Unix-like system in any form.  (It was running but I gave up
>fumbling with it.  I will be back, with purchased book and CDROMs,
whenever v3.x
>comes out.  Slow home access and work firewalls make downloading a pain.
Is the
>published book better than the on-line documentation?)

Not having seen any books on FreeBSD, I can't answer that.  I can say for
certainty though, that the online documentation will always be more up-to
date than any printed medium.  Add in the ability to search for specific
topics... surely you can see my point.

(BTW - I installed the full 2.2.7-release version by FTP from home over a
 28.8 modem.  It took about 8 hours for the download.  I don't find that
 too slow - just get it started and then go do something else until it's
 done.  Then again, if you aren't in North America I can see how 8 hours
 on the phone can be quite costly.)

>Questions runs, on average, above the level of the new user.  It is fine
>for people who are familiar with Unix like operating systems.  Most of
>the messages there are really just noise to the beginner, especially since
>the answer makes no more sense than the question.

There is no need to subscribe to freebsd-questions.  I made that mistake a
while back, and quickly realized that:

a) if you have a question, mail it to -questions and they will reply to you
   directly - no need to wade through the list each day.

   This eliminates the need to subscribe since you can search for what you
   are looking for.  If you don't find the answer you are looking for,
   see part a) above.

c) there are TONS of resources out there.  Just today I wanted to find out
   how to add a 2nd hard drive to my system.  I found a step-by-step
   tutorial at http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/diskformat/
   (btw - I found the reference to the tutorial by searching the mailing
   list archives).

>There needs to be a difference indicated between questions about:
>A.  getting FreeBSD installed and properly running and learning how to
work with
>the file system and the commands
>B.  doing things with the system once you understand Unix style operating
>systems - using it for real applications

But this information is all out there.  There are countless tutorials on
learning the *nix environment.  And as for installing, the FreeBSD handbook
is really all you need to get started.

>Kind of freebsd-qlearning vs. freebsd-qusing.  So far the documentation
seems to
>be mostly for, and written on the level of, type B users.  I hate always
>sounding like the dumb guy, but having some simple documentation walking me
>through all the possible options in the initial kernel setup would have
saved me
>two evenings of work.

What was wrong with the Handbook?  I admit that the first time I tried to
wrap my mind around some of the very different (compared to MS) concepts of
FreeBSD, I got a little confused, but by following the step-by-step install
section of the Handbook, I had a working system up and running in no time.

Sure, I made mistakes along the way, but that's how you learn.

>Most times, and this is in many things not just freebsd, the real help for
the
>new user comes from another new user who just got done getting through the
same
>problem rather than the "old-hand" who just assumes you know the little
tricks.

Yes, and that's what this list is for.  Except that rather than giving out
technical information, we discuss *what* we did, and *where* we got the info,
and we can point other newbies in the same direction without giving erroneous
information on *how* something is done.

>Did anyone else note that for all the complaints about what is -newbies
supposed
>to do, we've been using it properly?

Yes, and I agree that we can thank Sue for keeping this list under control.

M.