Date:      Sun, 26 Mar 1995 20:51:16 -0700 (MST)
From:      Jeremy Chatfield <jdc@crab.xinside.com>
To:        hasty@star-gate.com (Amancio Hasty)
Cc:        hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: httpd as part of the system.

Amancio Hasty writes:

> > > several people requested a copy of mosaic-2.5 for -current:
> > >
> > > freefall.cdrom.com:/incoming/mosaic-2.5.tgz
> > >
> > > this is stock mosaic 2.5 statically linked to motif 1.2, compiled
> > > on 2.0-950322-SNAP.
> >
> > I don't normally intrude into other people's legal affairs, but you're
> > in violation of the Motif 1.2 source license, unless you're collecting
> > Motif run-time royalties and sending them to OSF.
> >
> > NCSA Mosaic binaries are statically linked with Motif 1.1, because the
> > 1.1 source license is less restrictive than the 1.2 source license.
> >
> > I don't know what the realities are, whether the OSF would really sue
> > you if they found out, you'll have to decide for yourself whether or
> > not you're worried about it. :-)
> >

> Hmmm...
> I am not a legal expert but here is what it says in the
> Swim 1.2.3 for FreeBSD-1.0.2 Manual:
>
> Page T-1:
>
> Q: Can I link my applications statically and not worry about royalties?
>
> A: If you link your applications with the static libraries, you are
> free to distribute the resulting binary royalty free.
>
> -------
>
> Not sure if Sequoia  International Inc had the right to state so I recommend
> contacting OSF to clarify the issue.

There is a Motif Run Time license, for a run-time of Motif only.  If
you have an implementation with static libs or shared libs, you may
ship the binary that has been linked against them.  The binary may
include the static libs.  The binary and the distribution must not
contain dynamically linked libs (they could be used by another
application), without collecting an OSF royalty (and any distributor
royalty that may be accrued, too).

The new license with the Run Time is still a little fuzzy for me, but
I am absolute, for sure, dead certain positive that you can
statically link and ship, and that you can dynamically link and ship
so long as the libs are not included (or the include files, or mwm or
mre or uil or the other obvious things).

Cheers, JeremyC.
--
Jeremy Chatfield, +1(303)470-5302, FAX:+1(303)470-5513, email:jdc@xinside.com
        X Inside Inc, P O Box 10774, Golden, CO 80401-0610, USA.